Posted on Wednesday, January 13th 2010, 7:57 am by Andro

Its appears the battle between late night talk show host has less to do with Jay Leno vs Conan O’brien and more to do with Conan’s contract with NBC. As previously reported, it was believed Conan could actually sit on the sidelines for 4 years and earn a cool $80 million due to breach of contract by NBC.

However, closer review of his contracts does not stipulate any such clause! Talk about a major oversight by his managers and attorneys!? Therefore, Conan can’t actually take legal recourse in regards to the shift in time slot.

In a statement Conan made last night, he mentioned he has no current offers, although rumors are circulating that Fox 5 may be interested in negotiating with the host since Fox has no late night show in the network. It’ll be interesting to see how this battle unfolds. So as they say in show business….”Stay tuned folks”!

Read below to see what TMZ uncovered as the story continues to develop.

Via: www.TMZ.com

Conan O’Brien may have a claim against NBC, but not because the network wanted to move his show to 12:05 AM. We’re now told Conan’s contract never specified a guaranteed time period. If NBC wanted to run the show at 3:00 AM, Conan would have no recourse. We’re told Conan’s reps never even asked for a guaranteed time period when they negotiated his contract — shocking, but true.

By contrast, we’re told Jay Leno’s deal specifically guarantees his 10:00 PM time period, so the network must negotiate a new deal with him before he moves back to 11:35 PM. NBC did guarantee that Conan would host “The Tonight Show,” and the network has been willing to make good on that promise. As for Conan’s legal position, his claim is a lot more tenuous than first reported to us. We’re told Conan is arguing — given the history of “The Tonight Show” — there is an “implied” guarantee the show would begin at 11:35.

Our sources say Conan’s people met with NBC execs yesterday afternoon … presumably to negotiate a settlement and an out. Some of the high level people who oversee “The Tonight Show” are saying Conan has himself to blame — at least in part — for his failure. They say he refused to take notes from his bosses, saying “I do what I do.” Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Posted in Featured | Comments (1)



RETURN TO THE BLOG

One Response to “Conan O’Brian vs NBC & His Contract Oversight”

  1. DavidNo Gravatar Says:

    Conan O’Brien happens to be snagging a 33 million dollar settlement from NBC. That is obviously a heck of a huge amount of their hard earned money to hand you to just simply disappear completely. I will certainly acknowledge that I somewhat have a preference forJay Leno in that slot in lieu of the prime time slot, but I do think that Conan exhibited significant character in battling to acquire that sizeable severence program for his crew. I’m convinced that he will be able to land on his feet someplace different in a matter of time. If he fails to, at any rate the 33 million will soften the landing.


Leave a Reply